iAnthony

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Inside my mini...


I took my new Mac Mini to work today to upgrade it from it's stock 1 gig of RAM to 4 gigs. This is because I didn't have the precision tool I needed to open it up - a putty knife, which is used for prying the bottom of the case off. Once I got it open, it was pretty easy to take the four screws that hold the frame (which holds the dvd drive and hard drive) and to install the two memory chips. I was even able to get it back together again in one piece.

I'm currently running software update. It's going to take me a while to get it set up - in addition to installing all the mac updates and apps, I need to install VMWare Fusion and build a Windows XP VM, with all the updates and apps. Most of my documents from my old Windows machine are on my Lacie NAS RAID, but I have some I still need to grab off the PC. I also need to try to migrate my iTunes library over (I'm giving this a try) and install a new scanner and printer (the USB port on my old printer died, so I had it hooked up parallel, and HP evidently has yet to make 10.5 drivers for my old scanner).

1 Comments:

  • The Mac Mini's are certainly interesting to open.

    For an interesting project, I took a VERY old external CD writer, took everything out and turned it into a computer.

    Used a baby ATX P45 board, turned a small power supply into an external power supply and modified the internal 20 pin power, may have been 24 pin... Too lazy to open it up.

    I then cut out some holes in the back of my external CD drive case so that I could put the motherboard in and be able to hook all my junk up to it.

    Really had to pack everything in there and underclock my Core 2 Duo a bit due to overheating. But it is incredible.

    You should visit my website. Just a project with for me and some of my friends. I might put some of my projects up online. Not online yet. Not enough time between school and work. -_-

    http://www.mederbil.com/

    and the project for me, and my geeky friends...
    http://www.g33kblog.org/

    By Blogger Unknown, At August 6, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home